Tuesday, 2 July 2013

Independence Day

Albuquerque  Rob Atkins © 2013

Happy Fourth to my many American friends.

Looking at the photograph above that I made in Albuquerque, I'm reminded of a very enjoyable encounter I had a couple of years ago when I had coffee with a photographer in Bernalillo, just north of the Duke City. Robert D'Alessandro is a former Bronx native and now splits his time between New Mexico and Manhattan. A book of his work, Glory, was published in 1974, and can still be found on Amazon and ABE Books.

Glory is a photo essay on the American flag, shot in the best tradition of black and white, wide-angle Tri-X, with all the grain and contrast one would expect from work of that era. Spectacular.

More of D'Alessandro's work can be seen here.












No comments:

Post a Comment